Chris Anderson was appointed City Administrator by Mayor Cal Lepp in November 2002. He had previous experience as the Assistant City Administrator in Aurora, Nebraska, City Administrator in Stanton, Nebraska and City Administrator in Ashland, Nebraska. Chris has a Bachelors Degree from UNL and a Masters in Public Administration from UNO.
Chris is active in the International City/County Management Association and served a 3 year term on the ICMA Board of Directors from 2010-2013. He has served on numerous committees and has attained the Credentialed Manager designation.
Chris has served as President of the Nebraska City/County Management Association and the Board of Directors of the League of Nebraska Municipalities.
His ongoing activities includes:
- Chairman of the Board of Directors - National Public Gas Agency
- Board of Directors, American Public Gas Association
- Board of Directors of the Nebraska Municipal Power Pool
- Board of the Merrick Fitness Center.
- NPPD Power Resources Advisory Board
- Nebraska Information Technology Commission Community Council.
Chris and his wife Machelle have 3 children who enjoy the good life Central City offers.
The City Administrator is tasked under City Code with the following responsibilities:
- Attend all meetings of the City Council and its committees unless excused, with the duty of reporting on any matter concerning the City under the administrators direction; and to attend such other meetings of departments and officials as the duties may require or as may be directed by the Mayor or Council.
- Make investigation into all affairs of the City and to make recommendations to the Mayor and Council for the adoption of such measures and ordinances as are deemed necessary and expedient for good city government.
- Analyze the functions, duties and activities of the various departments, divisions and services of the City, and of all employees thereof, and to make recommendations regarding the same to the Mayor and Council; and to faithfully carry out the directives and recommendations of the Mayor and Council in coordinating the administrative functions and operations of the various departments, divisions and services.
- Keep the Mayor and Council fully advised as to the financial condition of the City and its needs. The administrator shall be responsible for the preparation of the annual estimates of revenues and expenditures of the proposed budget for the presentation of a complete financial plan for the City to the Mayor and Council prior to the consideration and adoption of the annual appropriation ordinance by the City Council. With the adoption of the budget and the passage of the appropriations ordinances by the Council, the city administrator shall be responsible for the supervision and control of the budgeted expenditures.
- Prepare and submit to the Mayor and Council as of the end of the fiscal year a complete report on the finances and administrative activities of the City for the preceding year.
- Recommend to the Mayor the appointment, discipline, transfer or dismissal of all city personnel over which the administrator exercises jurisdiction.
- Investigate or have investigated all complaints filed against an employee, department, division or service of the City, and to report such investigation with recommendation to the Mayor and Council.
- Act as the City's liaison to state and federal economic/industrial development agencies; actively pursue community grant funding and promote new business and industrial development within the City.
- Perform all other duties and exercise such other powers as may be required by ordinance or prescribed by resolution of the Mayor and Council.
P.O. Box 418
Central City, NE 68826